Tuesday, January 13, 2015

Even an old barn looks better with a fresh coat of paint

Desk Make-Over

I had plenty of stain leftover after I completed my kitchen table project so I decided to see how many projects I could complete with the same can of stain.  I had this desk in my entrance way, but it had seen better days.  I spilled hot wax on it among other things.  I didn't feel up to stripping it so I just stained right over the existing paint.  The previous job I did was with spray paint.  Since it was not peeling at all I didn't need to sand it, so I just started applying stain.

This is the before picture. 


A close up reveals the trouble with this desk.
Lots of scratches.


The stain I have been using is Rust-oleum brand
I highly recommend using good gloves

I started out with cheap fragile gloves and they ended up breaking through.  It's a lot of work washing the stain off your hands so invest in some good kitchen gloves.  You will be glad you did.  Rub the stain in going with the grain of the wood.
When I originally painted this desk I took off the hardware prior to painting.  With stain you don't necessarily need to.  I rubbed right over the brass handles.  I wanted them to look a little aged and less brassy anyway, so the stain helped me to accomplish this look.   "Even an old barn looks better with a fresh coat of paint."  David O Mckay

No comments:

Post a Comment