Sunday, October 9, 2016

How to Make a Gingerbread Handcart

Gingerbread Handcart for the Mormon Trail Center Display


Day 1: 
Time management is important.  Plan on working a little bit over a few days because they do need time to dry in-between steps.

One the first day. lather up the handcarts with icing and let them dry. Icing should then be stored in an airtight container in the fridge.

Mold the heads, arms and hands.  Leave them on a greased surface to dry overnight.

Day 2: 
Work on the rest.  This will save you time in the long run, I promise!

The people are made out of fondant.  To make colors just add food coloring.


My original handcart was made with hot glue, but it broke apart.  It will need icing, in order to be strong.  

Here are some of the faces I have made.  I will make a video and post it to show how to make them.


Originally I was using hot glue when putting together my handcarts, but after a week, they started for fall apart.  You can use hot glue on some parts, but covering the bottom of the handcart with icing really makes it strong.  I highly recommend using icing on the handcart so it can hold up.


Grant put this one together for me.

Making the arms and hands in advance really help to make the process easier.  Let them dry overnight before adding clothing.


Supplies I used to make the handcarts.  You can use a dot of water and powdered sugar to get the fondant to the right consistency.  I prefer to use Crisco to help make it pliable.  You can put it in the microwave for a about 5 seconds to help soften up the fondant before using but don't over soften.


Printable Gingerbread Recipe and Directions

Printable Gingerbread Icing

Printable Fondant Recipe


Handcart Supply List






No comments:

Post a Comment