Thursday, January 15, 2015

How Not to Grow an Avocado Tree


My second son left on a mission in August of 2014.  I thought it would be fun to take an avocado seed from one of the last salads we ate together before he left and see if I could sprout it into a flourishing tree by the time he got home.  I searched on Pinterest for instructions on how to do this.  I read them all and figured it was going to be easy.  That was almost 5 months ago and I still don't have any sprouts.  I have been very careful to keep it in the sun and keep it watered, but still nothing.  Finally I decided to go back and look at the instructions again to see if I had missed anything.  It turns out, I put the seed up-side-down.  Well darn, I guess I blew that one.  

I decided to try an experiment with my little seed.  I think this might be able to turn into a pretty good object lesson.    I have since turned the seed placing it in the correct direction.  I wonder if the seed will be able to still sprout.  It has been 5 months, but it has also been watered so it shouldn't be dead.  This story will be continuted.  Just like the quote from President Uchtdorf, it doesn't happen overnight.

I will report back at a later date.  I plan on giving it a few more months to see if it will revive itself.  In my mind I can visualize a wonderful, large, flourishing tree in my entrance way, springing forth with fruit.  Even though most people would have thought it was a lost cause, I still have a particle of faith that it might be able to be revived.

 “Too often we approach the gospel like a farmer who places a seed in the ground in the morning and expects corn on the cob by the afternoon.  President Dieter F. Uchtdorf.

No comments:

Post a Comment