Thursday, September 4, 2014

#PathwayGivesMe

Why BYU (Idaho) Pathway Program Is

The Right Choice For Me

My Sister Sara
Graduated from BYU (Idaho)
Pathway Program 2014

I am a mother of four boys and in the latter end of my forty’s so why would I even consider going back to college at my age? This is the question I have asked myself over and over, and thus far in my life, I have talked myself out of it. Even though I have a desire to get my degree, I have always had an excuse. I can’t afford it. I don’t have time. I have too many responsibilities. I don’t want to miss out on my children’s lives. I’m not sure I am smart enough to succeed. Why would a stay at home mom need an education? It might be too hard for me. I am afraid of failure. I don’t know what I would major in. I don’t have a university close to me. I don’t have adequate transportation to get to school. I’m scared.

You might have a few of the same things rolling around in your head. If so, read on. I have written down all the reasons why going to college would not work for me. Now I am going to tell you why it will.

I have been thinking about it since 1988. This is the year I dropped out of college after only 1 ½ years. I always said I would finish my degree, LATER. In the mean time, I had four kids, moved from Utah, Georgia, California, and now Nebraska. I am always heavily involved with my family, my church, my children’s school, my community, and my hobbies. All of these things have made it easy to put my own education on the back burner.

A couple of years ago, my younger sister Sara, decided to finish her education through Pathway. She has 3 small children at home so online courses seemed like a perfect option for her. This spring she graduated with her bachelors’ degree and was invited to speak at the BYUI graduation convocation. The entire time she was going to school, I have to be honest, I was thinking in the back of my head, well that all works for her but she is super smart and learning comes so easy for her. If I were to try and do that, it would be a much larger commitment because it takes a lot more study time in order to lodge information into my thick skull. I know this because I used to teach seminary and it would take me three hours a day to prepare a lesson. I didn’t know anyone else that needed that much time each day.

Sara-Speaking at BYU (Idaho) Convocation

For these reasons I still didn’t really consider myself as being a serious candidate for the program. Then, back in April, I was attending a meeting for church. I am currently serving as the Relief Society President of my ward. All the Relief Society Presidents met together and were instructed about the Pathway Program. We were asked to take the information we had learned and share it with our individual wards.

While I was sitting in the meeting, I had a feeling pierce me in my heart, that I should not only share the program with my ward sisters, but that I should consider it for myself. At that moment I decided that one day, I was personally going to go through the Pathway Program. At the time I didn’t realize it would be so soon. I was in full mom mode, doing all the things mothers do to get a son on a mission. Believe me, it’s a lot of work. Especially when your son has to have shoulder surgery before he can go. He was also being recruited to play football at many colleges. It took extra time to visit all the universities a find out which one would hold his scholarship long enough for him to serve a two year mission. On August 20th my second son entered the mission field. He is called to serve in Mexico. My oldest son is currently serving in Peru. A few days after he entered the Missionary Training Center, I signed up for Pathway.

As far as all of my excuses, well I will put my trust in the Lord and move forward. I have always believed in putting God first in my life. I also believe in following the promptings of the Holy Ghost. I know I was moved upon by the spirit to further my education, so I will go forward in faith.

I keep thinking of the following quote:

“When we put God first, all other things fall into their proper place or drop out of our lives. Our love of the Lord will govern the claims for our affection, the demands on our time, the interests we pursue, and the order of our priorities.”
Ezra Taft Benson

I know that I currently have many claims to my affection that can certainly drop out of my life to create the time I need to be able to study and learn. I will still put my family and callings first, but schooling can now be in all the between places in my life.

As far as all the other concerns I have had in the past, many of them are dissolved because of this wonderfully inspired program. Some of them I still don’t have the answers to, like what will I major in, but I can worry about that later. The most important step for me right now, is just to get started. Watch the video to learn more. See if it’s right for you.

http://bcove.me/6s6xhuml

4 comments:

  1. I'm so proud of you Amy! You are an inspiration! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, I needed this today. God is prompting my heart with plans for my education too. It's scary to totally change life plans, but we have to have faith, don't we? Thanks for being an example.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comments. I have to say it is like taking a step in the dark. Sometimes we can't see the light at the end of the tunnel, but we step in the tunnel anyway, just because we know it is the way for us to go.

      Delete
  3. How exciting Amy!! What a wonderful thing to prioritize!! You and your family will be so blessed!!

    ReplyDelete