Thursday, August 21, 2014

Do Prayers Really Work?

Do You Think Prayer's Really Work?

My son used to wonder the same thing, until he found out the answer for himself.  The following is a story told in his own words…

When I was really young, my brother Nathan and I went on a trip together. We flew to Utah by ourselves unaccompanied. This sounds really scary, but the flying alone really was not bad at all. The airline took great care of us. My mom put us on the plane in Denver and my grandma Polly took us off the plane in Salt Lake. She then drove us to Idaho. This was the first time I had ever been away from home without my parents.

I thought I would be ok but in the middle of the night while staying at my uncle’s house, I woke up and got really scared. Nathan had a track phone that we could use in case of emergencies, so I called my mom and dad. We talked for a little bit and we decided the best thing I could do was to say a prayer to help comfort me. I was too embarrassed to go and wake someone up to tell them I was having a hard time. I had just finished my prayer when all of the sudden my grandma Polly came down the stairs. She told me she had been asleep, but woke up and knew she needed to check on me. I told her I was scared so she had me come up and sleep on the floor in the room she was staying in for the rest of the night. I knew that it was an answer to my prayer.

I would like to tell you one more story. This story is about a boy who was one year older then I am now. His name is Joseph Smith. He was pondering upon which church he should join. He did not know what to do, but found a scripture in the bible in the book of James. It said, “If any of ye lack wisdom, let him ask of God.” After reading this he realized he lacked wisdom and he needed to ask God. I will quote from Joseph’s account:

14 So, in accordance with this, my determination to ask of God, I retired to the woods to make the attempt. It was on the morning of a beautiful, clear day, early in the spring of eighteen hundred and twenty. It was the first time in my life that I had made such an attempt, for amidst all my anxieties I had never as yet made the attempt to pray vocally.

15 After I had retired to the place where I had previously designed to go, having looked around me, and finding myself alone, I kneeled down and began to offer up the desires of my heart to God. I had scarcely done so, when immediately I was seized upon by some power which entirely overcame me, and had such an astonishing influence over me as to bind my tongue so that I could not speak. Thick darkness gathered around me, and it seemed to me for a time as if I were doomed to sudden destruction…

just at this moment of great alarm, I saw a pillar of light exactly over my head, above the brightness of the sun, which descended gradually until it fell upon me.

17 It no sooner appeared than I found myself delivered from the enemy which held me bound. When the light rested upon me I saw two Personages, whose brightness and glory defy all description, standing above me in the air. One of them spake unto me, calling me by name and said, pointing to the other—This is My Beloved Son. Hear Him!

End of Quote

No matter what age a person is, you can still get answers to your prayers. I believe that Joseph received an answer to his prayer, just like I received an answer to mine. I also believe that each of you can receive answers to your prayers.


Grant

No comments:

Post a Comment