Monday, April 7, 2014

My Life Story/Memories/One Cousin at a time - Cousin Lisa

Lisa
Lisa and Her Two Beautiful Daughters

If you were to look in the dictionary for the word happy and you needed a picture to go along with it, then Lisa would be the perfect candidate. Oh, the pure fun and joy we always have when Lisa is around. When we were very little, Lisa would teach us to sing all kinds of fun songs. To this day my kids think I have a song that goes to every situation and in large part that is because of Lisa. Let me name a few: An Old Austrian Went Yodeling on a Mountain So High, Little Baby Chick Chick I See You, My Hat It Has Three Corners, Little Peter Rabbit Had A Fly Upon His Nose. These are just a few of my favorites. We of course had actions to go along with each song. But my favorite memory is when Lisa would sing us to sleep at night. She sang a song that Grandma Johnson had taught us called, “Two Little Boys.” To this day it has a very special place in my heart. I have put my own boys to sleep many times with the song and I even took some pictures of my own kids depicting the scenes as I saw in my mind while listening to the song all those years ago. The original song was written as a very fast jig, but our family always slowed it down into a Lullaby.

Two Little Boys
Two little boys had two little toys
Each had a wooden horse 

Gaily they played each summer's day
Warriors both of course 

One little chap then had a mishap
Broke of his horse's head

Wept for his toy then cried with joy
As his young playmate said

Did you think I would leave you crying 
When there's room on my horse for two 
Climb up here Grant and don't be crying 
I can go just as fast with two 
When we grow up we'll both be soldiers 
And our horses will not be toys 
And I wonder if we'll remember 
When we were two little boys 

Long years had passed, 
War came so fast 
Bravely they marched away 
Cannon roared loud, 
and in the mad crowd 

Wounded and dying Seth lay 

Up goes a shout, 
A horse dashes out 
Out from the ranks so blue 
Gallops away to where Grant lay 
Then came a voice he knew

Did you think I would leave you dying
When there's room on my horse for two
Climb up here Seth, We'll soon be flying
I can go just as fast with two 

Did you say Grant
I'm all a-tremble 
Perhaps it's the battle's noise 
But I think it's that 
I remember 
When we were two little boys

I actually published a book depicting this song, it has photos of my boys and everything. You can download a digital version for free at Smashwords.  It is called, Two Little Boys, by Amy Hackleman.

Lisa and Laura not only had a great relationship with us Beck's, she also was very good friends with my cousins from the other side of the family, namely Danny and David.  In fact, one of Danny and David's best friends in Aberdeen was Layton Anderson, and as it turns out Lisa ended up marrying Layton.  See how great things work out in the long run from the summer visits to Aberdeen.

Since Lisa married Layton, who was an Aberdeen native, she ended up living in Aberdeen a couple of times while I was growing up.  This was a very special treat for me.  We would stay up almost all night playing, "The Farming Game" and listening to Neal Diamond.  I also got so spend quality time with her in my teenage days.


I remember one day she stopped by our house and asked my mom, "Aunt Polly, what are you doing today?"  She was calm and polite as always.  Then she proceeded to ask if we might be able to come over to her house because it was on fire.  Luckily we were able to get it put out without having to call the fire department.

No comments:

Post a Comment