Saturday, March 29, 2014

Thinking of Peru

View Outside Elder Hackleman's Window

Elder Hackleman Exploring on his Preparation Day

The beauty is Unbelievable 


Huaraz, Peru

My oldest son is currently serving a mission for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints.  It is for 2 years.  He just passed his one year mark so we have one more year to go.  While he is on his mission we get to talk to him via "Skype" 3 times and we got one phone call, so in all we talk to him 4 times in 2 years.

Elder Hackleman Skyping us on Christmas Day 2013

He does email us once a week, and we get a lot of pictures.  I have to say, I have had brothers and friends who have gone on missions, but I never understood how hard it would be to send a son out.  I am not regretting it at all, because I know the work he is doing is worth it, but that is not to say that it isn't hard on me.

Seth Visit's Peru State College Located In Nebraska

This morning, I saw my second son, Seth, run down the stairs, and it caused me to get a huge lump in my throat and tears in my eyes.  He is always on the run, since it is the end of his senior year of high school.  He has been recruited to play football by many schools and he finally settled on Peru State.  I'm sure his brother serving in the country of Peru had a lot to do with his decision.  He has been offered a full ride scholarship.  He recently had surgery on his shoulder because of an injury he got while playing football.  He had the surgery so he would be ready to play at the next level in college.  There is only one thing stopping him now from joining in the fast paced world of college and football, that is his desire to serve a full time mission.  Seth petitioned Peru State to inquire if they would hold his scholarship offer while he served a two year mission.  I am pleased to announce that they have granted him his request.  So now, my second son is preparing to serve a 2 year full time mission as well.


As he trotted down the stairs this morning, I knew that my days of seeing his happy smiling face are numbered.  Within the next month he will send his papers off to church headquarters and wait to see where in the world he will serve his mission. 

I can't believe in a few short months I will have 2 sons on a mission at the same time.  My heart aches to think of the hole that will be left in our home, but I have great faith in the process and I am so proud of my boys for choosing this path.


Definition of Missionary - Someone who leaves their family for a short time, so that others may be with their families for eternity.

No comments:

Post a Comment